    Date: 08 Aug 2002 20:34:07 +0100

    On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 13:18, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
    > I say it n-th time already dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb should give
    > a prefect sector by sector disk clone.

    The specific case of the hack for EZdisk I have no issue with the
    general problem I do

    > The bugs should be fixed in lilo and not worked around in the kernel.
    > We have the goal (and in fact obligation for scalability issues) to move
    > partition scanning out of the kernel space.

    Partition handling doesn't show up in any scalability benchmarks. Show
    me an IBM 8 way with partition reading showing up in lockmeter

    > Did you ever bother looking the the function in question?

    > Did you ever look at the missordered code in lilo I cited here?

    Did you ever think that it

    > It did contain 'heuristics" which stopped to annoy people just becouse
    > many have developed the immediate reflex of always adding the linear
    > parameter during lilo configuration already a very very long time ago
    > becouse anything else doesn't make much sense and disks have passed the
    > 512MB or even 4G barrier quite a time ago.

    So fix the heuristics to the official algorithm. Thats a good thing to
    do and test in a development kernel tree.

    And btw lots of people still use < 512Mb and < 4G disks. No doubt you'd
    prefer your kernel only ran on a pentiumII or higher

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.024 / U:5.560 seconds]