    SubjectRe: 64bit clean drivers was Re: Linux 2.4.20-pre1
    On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 07:10:36AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > dep_bool .... $CONFIG_X86_32
    > >
    > > Would that be acceptable for you? (ok that would not cover ppc32 for
    > > example, but they may have other issues with the driver)
    >
    > dep_bool doesnt have negations, bracketing or or operations. Thats why
    > CML1 can't handle it but CML2 probably could have

    But you can always define negative symbols (CONFIG_4GB CONFIG_32BIT CONFIG_LITTLE_ENDIAN,
    no need for !CONFIG_BIG_ENDIAN). I don't see how or should be
    needed with careful chosing of symbols.

    > > They will discover it when they don't find a driver for an device and
    > > can then find the disabled configuration and look into fixing it
    > > (for someone able to fix the driver checking the configuration should
    > > be trivial)
    >
    > No they'll mail you asking where it has gone

    That's fine too.

    > > In my opinion it is just not acceptable when the enable the driver by
    > > mistake or load the wrong module and it crashes.
    >
    > Thats a packaging issue for distributed prebuilt kernel trees. Also crashes
    > are the only way you are going to find out what needs fixing, who wants to
    > fix it and the like

    I disagree. In my opinion such low standards on the kernel configuration
    are not acceptable. Things that 100% will not work should not be
    visible.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:30.784 seconds]