    SubjectRe: [bug, 2.5.29, (not IDE)] partition table (not) corruption?

    On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 wrote:

    > LILO without "linear" or "lba32" is inherently broken: it will talk CHS
    > at boot time to the BIOS and hence needs a geometry and install time,
    > and nobody knows the geometry required. So, if LILO doesnt break, this
    > is pure coincidence.

    well, lilo without linear worked for like years on this box ...

    > Since 2.5.30 many people will have a different geometry, so many people
    > will have to find grub or a recent LILO, or add "linear" to their old
    > LILO. This is all well understood - I just repeat it a few times in the
    > hope that that will reduce the amount of email.
    > But now you talk about vanilla 2.5.29, and I am surprised. Could you
    > send the kernel boot messages concerning that disk (dmesg | grep hd) for
    > 2.5.28 and 2.5.29 and 2.5.30?

    will do - it might have started in 2.5.28. But since i use the BK tree, i
    might have tested an 'almost 2.5.30' 2.5.29 BK tree.

    > And you talk about corruption, and I am surprised again. Have you
    > verified that there really was a difference? Or do you only suspect
    > corruption because LILO has problem? (In that case I can assure you that
    > there was no corruption.)

    you are right, there was no corruption most likely. And the IDE subsystem
    is most definitely innocent.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.030 / U:37.540 seconds]