    SubjectRe: [patch] tls-2.5.30-A1
    On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 19:33, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > - keep the TLS entries contiguous, and make sure that segment 0040 (ie
    > GDT entry #8) is available to a TLS entry, since if I remember
    > correctly, that one is also magical for old Windows binaries for all
    > the wrong reasons (ie it was some system data area in DOS and in
    > Windows 3.1)

    Lots of BIOSes (a million monkeys bashing on typewriters will write
    something that passes some BIOS vendor QA in about 2 seconds) illegally
    assume that 0040: points at the BIOS data segment 0040 when making APM32
    calls. Sufficient that Windows makea it so and its never going to get
    corrected.

    > Then, for double extra bonus points somebody should look into whether
    > those damn PnP BIOS segments could be simply made to be TLS segments
    > during module init. I don't know if that PnP stuff is required later or
    > not.

    PnPBIOS has to rewrite segments as it goes for data passing. It doesnt
    really matter where you stuff them though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.032 / U:29.528 seconds]