    SubjectRe: Disk (block) write strangeness
    Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
    > I'm *very* certain that Linux does this non-sequentially, because the
    > disk might be causing the half-block oddity which really surprised me,
    > but the disk is not caching 20 MB of data internally, for sure.

    Maybe you shouldn't consider the powerfailure as a happening at one
    single point in time, but rather happening during a short periode of
    time. Maybe it is possible during this periode of time, that at some
    times there is enough power for actually writing to the disk, and at
    other times there is not.

    I think it should be possible for the firmware on a good disk to
    prevent such artifacts. But I think you can find disks that just
    keeps trying to write even while power is failing.

    Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet.
    For sending spam use

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:3.196 seconds]