    SubjectRe: ethtool documentation

    Abraham vd Merwe <abraham@2d3d.co.za> wrote:
    | What is the difference between the supported and advertising fields?
    | What is MII? (as in the SUPPORTED_MII feature?).

    MII: (is this a serious question ?):
    [from a National Semi. ethernet repeater design Application Note]
    The Medium Independent Interface, as specified in the IEEE 802.3u/D5.3
    standard, is designed to support the PHY/MAC interface.

    | > ETHTOOL_GEEPROM
    | > ETHTOOL_SEEPROM
    | >
    | > Get/set EEPROM data. These commands expect a 'struct ethtool_eeprom
    | > *'
    | > argument. This struct has a magic number, an offset and length
    | > pair, and a
    | > data field. If the offset+length are longer than the maximum size,
    | > the extra is silently ignored.
    |
    | Wouldn't it have been better to make this 'n character device which can
    | be read from / written to just like a normal file (/dev/nvram-like
    | interface) -
    | that way applications can actually use unused eeprom space.

    I wouldn't care for this. There's nothing 'normal' about this
    EEPROM space, and apps generally won't know where there might be
    some 'unused eeprom space'.

    --
    ~Randy