SubjectRe: ethtool documentation

Abraham vd Merwe <> wrote:
| What is the difference between the supported and advertising fields?
| What is MII? (as in the SUPPORTED_MII feature?).

MII: (is this a serious question ?):
[from a National Semi. ethernet repeater design Application Note]
The Medium Independent Interface, as specified in the IEEE 802.3u/D5.3
standard, is designed to support the PHY/MAC interface.

| > Get/set EEPROM data. These commands expect a 'struct ethtool_eeprom
| > *'
| > argument. This struct has a magic number, an offset and length
| > pair, and a
| > data field. If the offset+length are longer than the maximum size,
| > the extra is silently ignored.
| Wouldn't it have been better to make this 'n character device which can
| be read from / written to just like a normal file (/dev/nvram-like
| interface) -
| that way applications can actually use unused eeprom space.

I wouldn't care for this. There's nothing 'normal' about this
EEPROM space, and apps generally won't know where there might be
some 'unused eeprom space'.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.285 / U:2.768 seconds]