SubjectRe: No Subject

On 3 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 20:26, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > What helped me was using fixup_device_piix() from -ac in
> > ide_scan_pcidev(). My controler's ID is DEVID_ICH3M.
> > It is used in a different, more generic way in -ac, so I don't post the
> > patch.
> >
> > Alan, Marcelo: is there any chance that this change will be ported from
> > -ac in 2.4.20?
> I plan to send Marcelo all the IDE updates. Note btw the checking of the
> return value on pci_enable_device is critical - some old kernels hang on
> boot with crappy bioses through not checking.

Of course it is critical :-).

> What I begin to the think the right answer is, is to relax the IDE fixup
> block in the i386 kernel boot up. Right now we avoid assigning
> unassigned resources for IDE controllers. Clearly we should be doing so.

I think so.
Andre what do you think?

And one more thing in ide-pci.c:ide_setup_pci_device() after explicitly
enabling device's IOs we may need to update dev->resource and we don't
do this (we place chipset in native mode so i.e. on VIA base addresses
are just showing up). How to update them?