SubjectRe: Loop devices under NTFS
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 06:23:48AM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> Are you complaining about something in loop.c,

Yes. Anything but the filesystem itself and the generic read/write path
is not supposed to use address space operations directly.

> >Note that there is a more severe bug in loop.c: it's abuse of
> >do_generic_file_read.
> Could you please elaborate on this and give an example where
> it return incorrect data, deadlock, generate a kernel oops, etc.?

Depending on the filesystem implementation _anything_ may happen.
With current intree filesystems the only real life problem is that
it doesn't work on certain filesystems. I think at least the network
filesystems might be oopsable with some preparation.