    SubjectRe: packet re-ordering on SMP machines.
    On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 08:18, Ben Greear wrote:
    > By re-ordered, I mean that a method called from process_backlog in dev.c
    > is being handed packets in a different order than they are being poked into
    > the driver with hard_start_xmit on the other interface. If each CPU can be running the
    > process_backlog, then I can see how this could be happening.
    > 1) Is this expected behaviour?

    > 2) Is there any standard (ie configurable) way to enforce strict ordering on an
    > SMP system?

    > 3) If answer to 2 is no, would you all be interested in a patch that
    > did allow strict ordering (if indeed I can figure out how to write one)?

    You should never need it. Ethernet, hubs, switches, routers, internet
    backbones etc will all cause packet re-ordering. You should also expect
    the percentage of re-ordered frames on the net to rise and rise.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.034 / U:36.804 seconds]