    SubjectRe: [patch] IPMI driver for Linux
    Alan Cox wrote:

    >On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 16:47, Corey Minyard wrote:
    >>I have been working on an IPMI driver for Linux for MontaVista, and I
    >>think it's ready to see the light of day :-). I would like to see this
    >>included in the mainstream kernel eventually. You can get it at
    >> It should work on any kernel version,
    >>although you will have to fix up the and Makefile, and the
    >> stuff may not work (it's currently in the 2.4 location).
    >>The web page has documentation on the driver, and documentation is
    >>included in the patch, too. This is a fairly full-featured driver with
    >>a watchdog, panic event generation, full kernel and userland access to
    >>the driver, multi-user/multi-interface support, and emulators for other
    >>IPMI device drivers.
    >Comments in general.
    >It touches user space with spinlocks held -> bad idea
    Oops, thanks. I've uploaded a version that fixes this. I only found
    one instance of this, but it's pretty bad.

    >It doesnt check copy_*_user returns instead commenting that some other
    >driver didnt so it wont - bad idea too
    This was only in the emulation code. I debated about this, but it's
    quite possible that doing the check will break the current users of this
    code. I'm afraid if I add the checks it will cause other broken code to
    not work. I could pull out the emulation code and supply it separately;
    I would probably choose to not put that part into the mainstream kernel,

    >It seems to be allocating a major - can you have > 1 ipmi per host, can
    >it use misc devices, can it get one registered properly with lanana
    Yes, you can have multiple IPMI interfaces on a host (I have a board
    that has 3!). There are serial-port interfaces planned that could also
    easily have multiple instances as well as an on-board KCS. If there's
    an easy way to do this with a minor device, I'm all ears, but I'd prefer
    to have a separate device for each interface. This is one of the things
    I wanted discussion about. Once that gets settled, I'll go to lanana.
    Right now it's just being auto-assigned.

    >Otherwise its way way way nicer than the hideous thing a certain chip
    >vendor sent me.
    I know what you mean.

    Thank you for your response and suggestions.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.025 / U:9.516 seconds]