SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: [patch] config language dep_* enhancements
Date

sam@ravnborg.org said:
> David suggest to use randomly generated configurations, but they lack
> one important feature. They are always valid, and a new system shall
> be able to deal with hand-edited .config files in the same way as
> oldconfig.

I suggested those as a way for testing the equivalence of the old and new
rulesets if the language changed. My main objection to CML2 was not the
language itself or the gratuitous use of python, but the fact that the
actual configuration rules were changed in extremely dubious ways.

Think 'provably correct transforms between AndreCode and C'.

You do also want to deal with hand-edited .config files in a similar manner
to the existing tools, yes -- but that's a different issue.

--
dwmw2