    SubjectRe: large page patch

    Gerrit> It would sure be nice if the interface wasn't some kludgey
    Gerrit> back door but more integrated with things like mmap() or
    Gerrit> shm*(), with semantics and behaviors that were roughly more
    Gerrit> predictable. Other than that, no comments as yet on the
    Gerrit> patch internals...

    In my opinion the proposed large-page patch addresses a relatively
    pressing need for databases (primarily). Longer term, I'd hope that
    it can be replaced by a transparent superpage scheme. But the
    existing patch can also serve as a nice benchmark for transparent
    schemes (and frankly, since it doesn't have to do anything smart
    behind the scenes, it's likely that the existing patch, where
    applicable, will always do slightly better than a transparent one).

    In any case, the big issue of physical memory fragmentation can be
    experimented with indepent what the user-level interface looks like.
    So the existing patch is useful in that sense as well.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:19.996 seconds]