    SubjectRe: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?
    I have already donated $30 last year (but to the EFF as I think freedom
    is also important). But how many individuals donate though? I'd say 99%
    of the people just free ride. That means resources are very scarce and
    not enough OSS is produced.

    But something is wrong with this. If I donate then it's no longer free.
    And only if you never donate then you can call it free. Efectively, that
    means that to get to a certain level of funding donators have pay 99
    times the amount that would otherwise be needed if everyone contributed.

    This reminds me of my countrie's idea of "social justice": the rich go
    to the tax funded, free universities while the poor grow corn and work
    18 hours, 7 days a week and also pay the taxes (40%). Of course these
    poor can't pay for housing and food while studing. But every time
    someone suggests charging a small fee to univ. students (offering state
    loans for the ones that can't really pay that would cover food, housing
    and the fee) to partially fund those universities, and in order to lower
    the consumer tax (poors tax), they are dismised because "free access to
    the university is there so that the poor can study".

    OSS is not much different either, but it's very difficult for most
    people to understand it for some unknown reason.