    SubjectRe: adjust prefetch in free_one_pgd()

    On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, David Mosberger wrote:

    > I thought the prefetches API intended this to be a safe operation?

    Well, any _sane_ prefetch API would be safe.

    However, there is known-broken hardware out there, in which a prefetch
    from IO space will kill the machine.

    Personally, I would just say that we should disable prefetch on such
    clearly broken hardware, but since it's Alans favourite machine (some
    early AMD Athlon if I remember correctly), I think Alan will disagree ;)

    > It's definitely not an issue on ia64: there, prefetches against
    > uncached memory translations are automatically canceled.

    That's true of just about any other architecture too. I think the AMD case
    is an erratum, so even on AMD it is _supposed_ to work.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.029 / U:59.896 seconds]