SubjectRe: MAX_PID changes in 2.5.31
Robert Love writes:
> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 18:36, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > In other words, "yes, unless you happen not to use SysV IPC semaphores
> > or message queues in any of your binaries on your system". So you want
> > to break binary compatibility. Please don't. I don't want to downgrade
> > to glibc.
> So are you saying we can never deprecate interfaces, just so you can
> continue using libc5?

Having a stable ABI to user-space has been one of the strong points of
Linux, versus just about everything else out there. And I wouldn't be
using libc 5 if glibc wasn't growing exponentially with time (both in
terms of total bytes and in terms of number of shared libraries I have
to add to my link line).

> Seems saner to keep libc5 in sync with the kernel than vice versa..

It's not just me. There are people using libc 4.