    SubjectRe: IDE?

    On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On 17 Aug 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >
    > > If we can do it that way I'll do the job. If Linus applies random IDE
    > > "cleanup" patches to his 2.5 tree that don't pass through Jens and me
    > > then I'll just stop listening to 2.5 stuff.
    > That may work for the low-level driver stuff, but not for things like the
    > partitioning fixes. Especially as some of that is different in 2.5.x
    > relative to 2.4.x.
    > In other words, I'll clearly apply anything that comes from Al, at the
    > very least.

    I'm going to run these patches by Alan first anyway, so...

    BTW, most of partitioning patches apply to both branches - it's preliminary
    cleanup part that is tricky; some of partitioning stuff is already in Jens
    code and the rest will be a matter of not moving add_gendisk()/del_gendisk()
    in 2.4 branch and leaving the calls of grok_partitions()/wipe_partitions()
    in ide_revalidate() (2.4) while removing them in 2.5.

    Cleanup that comes before that stage is common for 2.4 and 2.5, makes sense
    in both and will be synced with Alan - if nothing else, to keep PITA for
    Jens minimal.

    Look at the patches for other drivers - gendisk splitup / removal of
    BLKRRPART handling / removal of ad-hackery in open/reread partitions /
    removal of grok_partitions() and wipe_partitions() is fairly small
    _if_ driver has clean rules for places where it used to register disks.
    That's the main trouble with IDE for my current purposes - and fixing it
    makes sense for 2.4 as well as for 2.5.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:31.156 seconds]