    SubjectRe: IDE?
    On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 01:09, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > I actually don't think it's the people as much as it is the ridiculous
    > > linkages inside ide.c and the hugely complicated rules. The code is messy.
    > So of all the people you know floating around in "active hacker" state, who
    > seems like the sort of person who could handle this mess? If there is no
    > person, is there a description which is more specific than "wanted: person
    > who wants thankless abusive non-payed job to clean up what is inherently a
    > mess"?

    IMHO you need
    - An understanding of ATA (which is the protocol
    equivalent of object oriented cobol)
    - The ability to work with vendors (it needs to be someone
    at a company because many vendors won't NDA with
    individuals even if they are happy with GPL code off
    their data sheet)
    - Someone who has taste in code and understands how to
    beat code into shape without breaking it
    - The ability to deduce the other errata the vendor forgot
    to tell you about or doesn't want to admit exists for
    fear of US lawsuits (I kid you not)
    - A good understanding of the block layer and its locking
    especially because IDE has a heirarchy of contention
    two drives one bus
    two channels one DMA engine
    two controllers one I/O at a time
    ISA IRQ sharing locks