    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] New PC-Speaker driver
    Date
    On Thursday 15 August 2002 15:18, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

    > > > Thanks for your testing, indeed my primary
    > > > goal was to make the sound quality acceptable
    > > > even for playing MP3s.
    > > > With the motherboard's output attached to an
    > > > external speakers the quality is definitely
    > > > acceptable, but for the internal beeper I am not
    > > > shure if it is possible to really enjoy MP3s however:)
    >
    > I'm afraid I'll disappoint you guys but chances of getting this into mainline
    > are slim for the following reasons:
    >
    > 1.New motherboards have built-in sound, it may be crappy but definitely
    > better than PC speaker.

    Non argument. What about old motherboards? What about modern motherboards that
    don't have sound, and yes, they do exist.

    > 2.PC speaker hardware is not standardized enough. It is designed to beep reliably,
    > but no manufacturer tests it for good frequency diagram and such. Since they may
    > be wired differently, you can't be sure which way you can force maximum amplitude
    > on a particular mobo (there are 2 or 3 ways to reach max on different mobos.
    > Or so I read in a magazine a long ago).

    Non argument. What about that hardware that it works fine on?

    > 3.It loads CPU enormously. Even more so considering that some recent chipsets _emulate_
    > speaker via their integrated sound and SMM mode (ick).

    Non argument. What about if you have cycles to burn, but no sound hardware?

    > These are typical symptoms:
    > > I can get some pretty decent sound out of it, but I also get some
    > > horrible noise. Even if I send the driver a stream of zeroes, as soon
    > > as it's opened it starts generating some horrible clicks and a
    > > high-pitched whine.
    > >
    > > Do I blame my motherboard (actually, a laptop)? Is there any way to fix
    > > this, or at least improve it?
    >
    > In short: making it work right on wide variety of hardware is next to impossible
    > and even then results are mediocre (low volume, radio quality).

    So what? If it works on *your* hardware then you want the option.

    > Of course I understand the desire to make simple hardware do nice and unexpected
    > things which it even wasn't designed to do. :-) Maybe ALSA team have some member
    > crazy enough to join you.

    You simply argued that because it might not work well for everybody, then
    nobody should have it. I hope you see the fallacy.

    I have two machines here that want it, and on which it works fine. One of
    them is a modern server.

    It's a small patch and decently coded. Sure, it could use a little more work,
    but that is exactly what it will get if it's in mainline. I'm in favor of
    seeing this in mainline.

    --
    Daniel