    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] VM Regress - A VM regression and test tool
    Rik van Riel wrote:

    > The thing is that developers need some benchmarking thing
    > they can script to run overnight. Watching vmstat for
    > hours on end is not a useful way of spending development
    > time.
    > On the other hand, if somebody could code up some scriptable
    > benchmarks that approximate real workloads better than the
    > current benchmarks do, I'd certainly appreciate it.
    > For web serving, for example, I wouldn't mind a benchmark that:
    > 1) simulates a number of users, that:
    > 1a) load a page with 10 to 20 associated images
    > 1b) sleep for a random time between 3 and 60 seconds,
    > "reading the page"
    > 1c) follow a link and grab another page with N images
    > 2) varies the number of users from 1 to N
    > 3) measures
    > 3a) the server's response time until it starts
    > answering the request
    > 3b) the time it takes to download each full page
    > Then we can plot both kinds of response time against the number
    > of users and we have an idea of the web serving performance of
    > a particular system ... without focussing on, or even measuring,
    > the unrealistic "servers N pages per minute" number.
    Don't forget to count the total amount of
    swap & block io. (i.e. vmstat 1 > logfile & sum it up)

    Good strategies for page replacement may result in
    less io for the same job, which means a lot for
    performance whenever you get disk-bound. Many
    a web server serves more than fits in cache, and of
    course there are file servers too...

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.046 / U:21.472 seconds]