    SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: [patch] config language dep_* enhancements
    On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Peter Samuelson wrote:

    > CONFIG_PROC_FS is needed by ISDN hysdn. That's actually in my opinion
    > more of a "general kernel facility" than a filesystem. Eh?

    Well, the use in hysdn can (and should) die, possibly by adding an
    #ifndef CONFIG_PROC_FS
    #error This driver won't work without procfs
    #endif
    until fixed properly.

    > Then again it could be said that requiring CONFIG_PROC_FS is actually
    > a design bug in hysdn - does the driver *really* need CONFIG_PROC_FS?
    > Everything else in the kernel seems to cope without it. Granted,
    > non-/proc kernels are not widely tested.... Kai?

    I don't know, I suspect it needs it for something like firmware loading or
    so. But since that's obviously an abuse of /proc, it's okay to have it
    break IMO.

    > CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI - interestingly, CONFIG_HYSDN_CAPI, which is under
    > the menu "Old ISDN4Linux (obsolete)" seems to require CAPI 2.0. I
    > suppose the CAPI stuff should come first in drivers/isdn/Config.in.
    > Kai?

    Yes. I'll look into that and fix it properly - I think just exchanging
    probably gives the same kind of problem for CONFIG_ISDN ;(

    --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.025 / U:60.428 seconds]