    SubjectRe: [patch] exit_free(), 2.5.31-A0

    On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > It may be small, but it's crap, unless you can explain to me why glibc
    > cannot just cannot just catch the death signal in the master thread and
    > be done with it (and do all maintenance in the master).

    we dont really want any signal overhead, and we also dont want any extra
    context-switching to the 'master thread'. And there's no master thread
    anymore either.

    the pthreads API provides sensible ways to just get rid of a helper thread
    without *any* handshaking or notification done after exit with any of the
    other threads - the thread has finished its work and is gone forever.

    the fundamental problem is getting rid of the stack atomically, it's a
    catch-22. A thread can be interrupted by a signal on the last instruction
    it executes, it can be ptrace debugged, etc. And something must notify
    about completion once the stack is 100% unused.

    (i'll add any other, userspace-only solution to the code if there's any
    that has equivalent performance - i couldnt find any other solution so

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.031 / U:1.692 seconds]