SubjectRe: [patch 7/21] batched freeing of anonymous pages

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
> The VMA teardown code is currently removing pages from the LRU
> one-at-a-time. And it is freeing those pages one-at-a-time.

This patch is wrong.

We already _have_ the pagevec for page table teardown, and by making it a
per-CPU static structure instead of allocating it on the stack it can be
made (and is) quite a lot bigger than a pvec.

If you want batching here, then the right approach is to just remove the
"fast" code entirely, and batch it properly at the TLB struct level (since
we _have_ to batch it there anyway, to fix the the thread unmapping TLB
race condition)

This is what "tlbgather" is all about.