    SubjectRe: [patch 7/21] batched freeing of anonymous pages

    On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > The VMA teardown code is currently removing pages from the LRU
    > one-at-a-time. And it is freeing those pages one-at-a-time.

    This patch is wrong.

    We already _have_ the pagevec for page table teardown, and by making it a
    per-CPU static structure instead of allocating it on the stack it can be
    made (and is) quite a lot bigger than a pvec.

    If you want batching here, then the right approach is to just remove the
    "fast" code entirely, and batch it properly at the TLB struct level (since
    we _have_ to batch it there anyway, to fix the the thread unmapping TLB
    race condition)

    This is what "tlbgather" is all about.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:87.948 seconds]