    SubjectRe: [patch 6/12] hold atomic kmaps across generic_file_read
    On Sunday 11 August 2002 00:42, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > For example, what do you do when somebody has a COW-page mapped into it's
    > VM space and you want to start paging stuff out?

    Clearly it requires a CoW break and swapping out that page won't free any
    memory directly, but it will in turn allow the cache page to be dropped. I
    suppose your point is that these ideas touch the system in a lot of places,
    and right now the code is a little too irregular to withstand lathering on a
    new layer of cruft. That's true, but <plug>the reverse mapping work
    enables some fundamental VM simplifications that make a lot of things more
    local, and so a better base for these new, sophisticated features is on its

    > There are "interesting"
    > cases that just may mean that doing the COW thing is a really stupid thing
    > to do, even if it is intriguing to _think_ about it.

    It is good sport, but the real benefits are compelling and will only get more
    so. For high end scientific uses (read supercomputing clusters) it's a cinch
    developers will prefer high speed file operations that turn in nearly the
    same raw performance on large transfers as O_DIRECT while not bypassing the
    file cache.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:8.000 seconds]