    SubjectRe: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

    On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:51:16 -0400 (EDT), Gerhard Mack wrote:

    >I don't get it.. he should know full well there are programmres out
    >there who will not provide good code no mater how much you pay them.

    Sure, and there are people who can't write a symphony no matter how much you
    pay them. But, believe it or not, the people who can write symphonies are
    more likely to get paid to write them than people who aren't. Or, in other
    words, there will tend to be a strong correlation between how much a person
    is paid to write symphonies and how well he or she writes them. This is
    because in general the people who control the flow of money tend to pay the
    people who write the symphonies that meet their needs.

    Now if you do a study where you randomly choose 100 people and pay them an
    extra $500 to write symphonies, you are very unlikely to get improved
    symphonies. But this hardly shows that more money won't make better

    For an individual given programmer, in most cases code quality won't
    correspond to financial compensation. You can't pay a randomly selected
    person more and more money and find them writing better and better
    symphonies. However, if I had to get a symphony written by any means at my
    disposal, the more money I had, the better the symphony would be.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:106.076 seconds]