    SubjectRe: 2.5.28 and partitions

    On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Thunder from the hill wrote:

    > Hi,
    > On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > > Terminated by \0. No need for flags, no need for endianness crap, no
    > > need to worry about field becoming too narrow...
    > Well, why not long[] fields? Might be more powerful, and possibly not any
    > slower than ASCII.

    More powerful in which way? I see where it's less powerful - sizeof(long)
    is platform-dependent and so is endianness. More powerful? Maybe, if
    you have integers that do not have decimal representation. I've never
    heard of such beasts, but sure would appreciate some examples.

    As for the Martin's comments... Martin, if you can't write a function
    that checks whether array of characters has a contents fitting the
    description above - stand up and say so. Aloud. In public.

    The fact that thousands of selfstyled "programmers" manage to screw that
    up says only one thing - that they should not be allowed anywhere near
    programming. Because the same guys screw up in _anything_ they do,
    no matter what data types are involved. ASCII is tough? Make it "arithmetics
    is tough". Examples on demand, including real gems like
    fread(&foo, sizeof(foo), 1, fp);
    if (foo.x >= 100000 || foo.y >= 100000)
    /* fail and exit */
    p = (char *)malloc(foo.x * foo.y);
    if (!p)
    /* fail and exit */
    for (i = 0; i < foo.x; i++)
    fread(p + i*foo.y. 1, foo.y, fp);
    and similar wonders (if anybody wonders what's wrong with the code above,
    you need to learn how multiplication is defined on int and compare 10^10 with
    2^32). And yes, it's real-life code, from often-used programs. Used on
    untrusted data, at that.

    Should we declare that arithmetics is dangerous?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:6.568 seconds]