From Michael Gruner on Tuesday, 09 July, 2002:
>ok, did it as you say: in the BIOS I switched to Vsync/blank screen.
>Let's see what happens.
>BTW: My graphics card isn't a nvidia as many of you suggested but an ATI
>Rage pro (what did you wrote Bernd? ;-) ).
>Another interesting thing I got back in mind today was: one day my XMMS
>played a mp3 song and I switched to console ( know what
>happend) but the song kept on playing in a loop that was some
>milliseconds until I powered the box off. I don't know what to think
>about that.

I've seen the same thing on my ATI XPert@Play (Rage Pro chipset). At
2.4.17, it was a risky proposition to switch between X and a text VC.
It's better in 2.4.18, although not much (I believe. I may be wrong).
I have happend upon a situation a number of times where, when switching
from X to a text VC, the machine "locks up", but CTRL-F7 (the X VC) will
get me back to a working X login screen (KDM), at least for a while. If
I keep trying to switch to a text VC (which never works), it eventually
fully locks up, to the point where I have to pull the plug, since the on
switch is non-responsive. If I tell it to shut down, it gets *most* of
the way through before carping out and locking up fully.
I don't *believe* I've seen this in 2.5.x, although I may be wrong.

"We're moving toward a world where all the capabilities of the Internet are
reprocessed through a single filter, with Microsoft's business plan behind
it." Mozilla's Mitchell Baker,