    SubjectRe: BKL removal
        So you agree with me?  Good.  I know you think the code is better
    than it was before, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in
    this case, the eye of the people that fully understand the code :)

    The problem is, of course, that to responsibly use the BKL, you must
    fully understand ALL the code that utilizes it, so that you know your
    new use of it doesn't conflict or interfere with existing code and
    usage. That's the same problem we have when it DOES show contention --
    is the problem in the functions which can't grab it (for trying
    unnecessarily), or in the functions that can (for holding it

    If you are the person who understands the BKL in all its usages
    throughout the kernel, then thankfully, our search is over. We've been
    looking for you to help resolve some of these discussions. If you
    aren't that person, though, then you can't accurately say your use of
    it doesn't affect anybody else adversely. All you can assert is that
    in your corner of the kernel, *you* use it for X, Y, and Z and they
    don't interact poorly with each other.

    With a narrowly defined and used lock, it is much less difficult to
    determine who uses it, what it is guarding, and what impact yet another
    use of it will have. With the BKL (and a few other poorly documented
    locks which have recently been cleaned up) nobody has had a hope of
    understanding the interactions.

    If nothing else, I hope you will think twice before sending off
    your next BKL removel patch in a subsystem that you haven't fully
    tested or understood. That's the point I keep trying to get across

    So can you define for me under what conditions the BKL is appropriate
    to use? Removing it from legitimate uses would be bad, of course, but
    part of the problem here is that it's currently used for a variety of
    unrelated purposes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.029 / U:6.360 seconds]