    SubjectRe: IBM Desktar disk problem?
    On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jens Axboe wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:40:37 +0200
    > From: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
    > To: venom@sns.it
    > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    > Subject: Re: IBM Desktar disk problem?
    >
    > On Fri, Jul 05 2002, venom@sns.it wrote:
    > >
    > > HI,
    > > I was trying kernel 2.5 with TCQ enabled.
    > > I tried it on three Desktar disk (manufactured in Thailand
    > > in february 2001) model dtla 305020.
    > >
    > > All three disk died after some week, without
    > > any signal of being dying.
    > > I was starting to suspect about an HW problem.
    > >
    > > With 2.4 kernels, no tcq, they could work
    > > without any problem for almost 8 months, but now,
    > > I moved those disk to test systems to test tcq support
    > > and all died badly. This is not an heat problem, since
    > > thay staty in a CED conditioned at 18C.
    >
    > This is a puzzling report. I wouldn't recommend that anyone use tcq in
    > 2.5 actually, since even I do not know what state it is currently in. I
    > would seriously recommend 2.4 + tcq patches instead.
    >
    > That said, are your disks completely dead now? As in they do not work
    > with a regular 2.4 kernel anymore?!

    Right now they are good just for the trash box.
    There is no way they could work, and I listen a noisy
    tic-tac frrr tic-tac from the head of the disks...

    I would think to an HW problem, but why all three together?
    and why exacly when I tested tcq?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:31.056 seconds]