    SubjectRe: IBM Desktar disk problem?
    On Fri, Jul 05 2002, venom@sns.it wrote:

    > HI,
    > I was trying kernel 2.5 with TCQ enabled.
    > I tried it on three Desktar disk (manufactured in Thailand
    > in february 2001) model dtla 305020.
    >
    > All three disk died after some week, without
    > any signal of being dying.
    > I was starting to suspect about an HW problem.
    >
    > With 2.4 kernels, no tcq, they could work
    > without any problem for almost 8 months, but now,
    > I moved those disk to test systems to test tcq support
    > and all died badly. This is not an heat problem, since
    > thay staty in a CED conditioned at 18C.

    This is a puzzling report. I wouldn't recommend that anyone use tcq in
    2.5 actually, since even I do not know what state it is currently in. I
    would seriously recommend 2.4 + tcq patches instead.

    That said, are your disks completely dead now? As in they do not work
    with a regular 2.4 kernel anymore?!

    --
    Jens Axboe