    SubjectRe: IBM Desktar disk problem?
    On Fri, 05 Jul 2002, Thunder from the hill wrote:

    > ...and tell all the people who got a DTLA (because it's not as expensive
    > as others in some countries, mind France, USA, Germany) to drop their
    > disks if they want to use Linux, because we're too lazy to find a
    > solution. That might be cool to you, but we want HARDWARE SUPPORT for
    > Linux! That's why we're here.
    >
    > There _is_ a solution, we just have to find it.

    Might just be that "coincidence" happens more often as "incident"
    happens more often. Means: the more drives of that type fails, the more
    likely it is someone shows up with a report that the failure is related
    to this-and-that. Until someone can reproduce this, assume the TCQ is
    Not Guilty in respect to your DTLA failure. Assume it has died a natural
    death.

    And the "incident often" seems to hold for 75GXP series drives (IBM
    DTLA-3070xx). Out of seven DTLA-307045 (all bought approx. Feb. 2001,
    in two different stores) I look after I am getting a MTBF(*) of around
    28,000 hours -- which is way lower than what IBM claims. Two died after
    9 months, another one after 16 months. Other IBM drives, DJNA, DPTA, are
    way more reliable -- but these are no longer sold.

    (Søren Schmidt, FreeBSD ata(4) driver maintainer, says that IBM
    acknowledged that DJNA have broken TCQ, sometimes forget to flush a
    block -- this will then probably also affect the WDC-420400 and 418....
    20G 5400/min and 18G 7200/min drives).

    (*) Using Fujitsu's formula:

    total hours of service of all drives
    number of failed drives to date

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:0.120 seconds]