    SubjectRe: [OKS] Module removal
    At 08:04 AM 7/2/2002 -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    >On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > > The suggestion was made that kernel module removal be depreciated or
    > > > removed. I'd like to note that there are two common uses for this
    > > > capability, and the problems addressed by module removal should be
    > kept in
    > > > mind. These are in addition to the PCMCIA issue raised.
    > >
    > > > 1 - conversion between IDE-CD and IDE-SCSI. Some applications just work
    > > > better (or usefully at all) with one or the other driver used to read
    > CDs.
    > >
    > > The proposal was to deprecate module removal, *not* to deprecate
    > > dynamic registration of devices. If you want to maintain the above
    > > functionality, then there's no reason why a device can't be
    > > deregistered from one driver and reregistered on another while both
    > > drivers are present. Note that the scsi stack already allows you to
    > > dynamically register and deregister specific targets on the fly.
    >As I am led to understand from reading this thread, there is some
    >known bug caused by module removal. Therefore the "solution" is to
    >remove module removal capability.

    Read the thread more carefully, and you'll understand more than "some
    known bug". Heck, you may even be able to contribute to a more
    palatable race solution than depreciating module unload entirely.

    >This is absurd. Next, somebody will remove network capability because
    >there's some bug in it. Hello there........? Are there any carbon-
    >based life-forms out there?

    I'm not absolutely certain that those life-forms discussing options are
    carbon-based ;-) but they have demonstrated considerable knowledge
    of the subject IMO.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:41.204 seconds]