    SubjectRe: async-io API registration for 2.5.29
    On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:20:51PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 08:49:39AM -0400, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
    > > > On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 07:41:11AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > > > What would you suggest as an alternative API? The main point of multiplexing
    > > > is that ios can be submitted in batches, which can't be done if the ios are
    > > > submitted via individual syscalls, not to mention the overlap with the posix
    > > > aio api.
    > >
    > > yes, sys_io_sumbit has the advantage you can mix read/write/fsync etc..
    > > in the same array of iocb. But by the same argument we could as well
    > > have a submit_io instead of sys_read/sys_write/sys_fsync.
    > You can't batch synchronous requests, so your "by the same
    > argument" doesn't work.
    > Asynchronous requests, OTOH, could be submitted in large
    > bundles since the app doesn't wait on each request.

    disagree, merging synchronous requests would make much more sense than
    merging asynchronous requests in the same syscall, it would make them
    asynchronous with respect than each other without losing their global
    synchronous behaviour w.r.t. userspace.

    With async-io it doesn't matter at all to merge too much stuff (except to
    avoid entering/exiting kernel that applies to synchronous operations

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:12.472 seconds]