    SubjectRe: Weirdness with AF_INET listen() backlog [2.4.18]
    Date
    Hello Alan (et al.),

    Thanks for the quick replies.

    >> I had expected that if a server creates a listening socket, but does not
    >> accept() the incoming connections, then after the (possibly
    fudge-factored)
    >> Is this all expected behaviour? If so, is there a way of getting Linux
    >> behave more like other implementations here? (As a wild shot I tried
    setting
    >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies to 0, but this made no apparent
    >> difference.)
    >
    >The world of tcp synflooding changed how stacks handle this sort of
    >stuff forever. Welcome to the new world order 8)

    Yes, I was gathering that it was synflooding that led to these changes.

    >You will get connections completing, they will time out.

    What causes the delay of a few seconds following each of the connect()s
    in excess of backlog?

    > If you expect
    >the server to say something you'll see the timeout there instead of
    >seeing it on the connect.

    Sorry, I don't quite understand this last sentence! Can you elaborate?

    >Since a timeout on the data can happen in the real world Im sure your
    >code already correctly handles this case ;)

    You mean on a send() or write(), right?

    Cheers

    Michael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.030 / U:0.088 seconds]