    SubjectRe: [patch 2/13] remove pages from the LRU in __free_pages_ok()

    On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > truncate_complete_page() _used_ to explicitly remove the page from
    > the lru, but we took that out. And it was never reliable anyway,
    > because some pages were left there (invalidatepage failed).

    I think we should try to fix invalidatepage instead, and just always
    remove it from the LRU.

    (If invalidatepage fails, we can just leave the page as an anonymous page
    _off_ the LRU, and let whoever holds a reference to the page eventually
    drop it, whatever).

    > Anyway. I have patches against 2.5.24, which work, which
    > turn pagemap_lru_lock into an innermost, irq-safe lock. If
    > we get that in place then page_cache_release() from IRQ context
    > is fine.

    I'd _really_ really prefer to go the other way. I think this brokenness is
    all from that one broken patch that removed the "remove from LRU".

    And from what I can tell, that broken patch has no real point to it
    anyway.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:0.248 seconds]