       From: Remco Treffkorn <>
    Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:46:42 -0700

    Drivers need not fight about minor numbers. That can be simply handled:

    int get_new_serial_minor()
    static int minor;

    return minor++;

    Any serial driver can call this when it initializes a new uart.
    Hot pluggable drivers have to hang on to their minors, and

    I don't think it's wise to make hot-plug drivers keep track
    of the minors they ever use in such a sloppy way. Why not
    make the get_new_serial_minor() thing have a release method
    too and then we can keep track of minor allocation in one

    Also if I remmove the module for a serial port driver, those minors
    should get reused by the next registered uart too.

    Finally we can name this all /dev/serialXXX in keeping with Linus's
    grand view of /dev/diskXXX et al. (and keeping ttySfoo around for
    compat sake for a little while of course :).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:2.884 seconds]