    SubjectRe: Speaker twiddling [was: Re: Panicking in morse code]
    Date
    Pavel Machek writes:

    > You might even add FSK checksum at each end of morse line ;-), if you realy
    > want checksum. Plus it will sound cool. You should also play special melody
    > at each start of repeat, to be more decoder-friendly [and it will also
    > sound cool].

    I looked into writing a decoder. It's really helpful to have a
    fixed ratio of high/low states. It's also good to avoid silence.
    The melody is important, so the user will know how long to
    record, and to provide a way to sync up the decoder.

    AMTOR w/ FEC is looking pretty good, but it needs the
    character set fixed. (new shift states, 1 ASCII per 2 Baudot,
    or a new code table) I hear there are extensions available
    that would at least do lowercase and a bit more puctuation.

    Not being a DSP expert, I'm using an FFT to get the power
    spectrum for a small region. I slide this window along the
    audio sample. I have pretty pictures of the bits now. :-)
    It looks like I could pick a frequency with a wide range
    of thresholds that give me the proper mark:space ratio,
    then recover the clocking... It's not too hard I think, even
    after going *.wav --> *.ogg --> *.au or misinterpreting the
    data type.

    So this is 100 baud. Guessing at good frequencies:
    1940 HZ and 1500 HZ
    1600 HZ and 1140 HZ
    (wide separation needed because I'm not a DSP expert)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:0.048 seconds]