SubjectRe: 3 Serial issues up for discussion (was: Re: Serial core problems on embedded PPC)
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 06:17:02PM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> 1. Serial port initialisation
> -----------------------------
> Firstly, one thing to bear in mind here is that, as Alan says "be nice
> to make sure it was much earlier". I guess Alan's right, so we can get
> oopsen out of the the kernel relatively easily, even when we're using
> framebuffer consoles.
> I'm sure Alan will enlighten us with his specific reasons if required.
> There have been several suggestions around on how to fix this table:
> a. architectures provide a sub-module to 8250.c which contains the
> per-port details, rather than a table in serial.h. This would
> ideally mean removing serial.h completely. The relevant object
> would be linked into 8250.c when 8250.c is built as a module.

I think this would work best. On PPC this would allow us to change the
mess of include/asm-ppc/serial.h into a slightly cleaner Makefile
(especially if we do the automagic <platforms/platform.h> or
<asm/platform.h> bit that's been talked about in the past) magic and we
could use that object file as well in the bootwrapper as well.

Tom Rini (TR1265)