    SubjectRe: 3 Serial issues up for discussion (was: Re: Serial core problems on embedded PPC)
    On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 06:17:02PM +0100, Russell King wrote:

    > 1. Serial port initialisation
    > -----------------------------
    >
    > Firstly, one thing to bear in mind here is that, as Alan says "be nice
    > to make sure it was much earlier". I guess Alan's right, so we can get
    > oopsen out of the the kernel relatively easily, even when we're using
    > framebuffer consoles.
    >
    > I'm sure Alan will enlighten us with his specific reasons if required.
    >
    > There have been several suggestions around on how to fix this table:
    >
    > a. architectures provide a sub-module to 8250.c which contains the
    > per-port details, rather than a table in serial.h. This would
    > ideally mean removing serial.h completely. The relevant object
    > would be linked into 8250.c when 8250.c is built as a module.

    I think this would work best. On PPC this would allow us to change the
    mess of include/asm-ppc/serial.h into a slightly cleaner Makefile
    (especially if we do the automagic <platforms/platform.h> or
    <asm/platform.h> bit that's been talked about in the past) magic and we
    could use that object file as well in the bootwrapper as well.

    --
    Tom Rini (TR1265)
    http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/