SubjectRe: Speaker twiddling [was: Re: Panicking in morse code]
Date
David D. Hagood writes:

> Either you are trying to output the panic information with minimal
> hardware, and in a form a human might be able to decode, in which case
> the Morse option seems to me to be the best, or you are trying to panic
> in a machine readable format - in which case just dump the data out
> /dev/ttyS0 and be done with it!
>
> To my way of thinking, the idea of the Morse option is that if an oops
> happens when you are not expecting it, and you haven't set up any
> equipment to help you, you still have a shot at getting the data.
>
> Trying to dump the oops data out by some form of FSK in most cases seems
> silly - if you have taken the time to set up a microphone and decoder,
> why not just set up a serial terminal?

Reality?

I'm one of the 42 remaining people with a terminal. My VT510
mostly sits unplugged due to heat, and it's taking up space.
The RS-232 port is legacy hardware anyway, due for removal.
My VT510 doesn't speak USB.

Morse doesn't do "<" and other common characters. For those
who know it, morse is useful. For well over 99% of the users,
morse is gibberish anyway.

There's no "set up a microphone and decoder" problem.
Most people have a tape recorder. Use that, then play
back into the PC's sound card after you reboot. Post the
sound file on a web site.

Sure, morse is cute and FSK isn't. FSK is useful. Morse is
useful too, for different reasons. One could output in both
formats, alternating between them until reboot.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.105 / U:0.300 seconds]