    SubjectRe: Header files and the kernel ABI
    Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > I had thought on this briefly in the past, and my take would be for these
    > ABI definition files to live directly in /usr/include/linux for user space
    > (just as glibc puts its own sanitized copy of the kernel headers there)
    > and the appropriate ABI headers are included as needed from the kernel.

    Given no legacy, I would agree with this, but I think it would imply bad
    legacy both on the kernel and the libc (it's not just glibc, either) side.

    > The kernel side would be something like <linux/scsi.h> includes
    > <linux/abi/scsi.h> or whatever, but in the future this can be included
    > directly as needed throughout the kernel. The existing kernel
    > <linux/*.h> headers would also have extra kernel-specific data in them.
    > The same could be done with the user-space headers, but I think that
    > is missing the point that the linux/abi/*.h headers should define _all_
    > of the abi, so we may as well just use that directly.

    Except now the paths are gratuitously different between kernel
    programming and non-kernel programming, and we create a much harder
    migration problem. I'd rather leave the linux/* namespace to the
    user-space libc to do whatever backwards compatibility cruft they may
    consider necessary, for example, <linux/io.h> might #include <sys/io.h>
    since some user space apps bogusly included the former name. Leaving
    that namespace available for backwards compatibility hacks avoids those
    kinds of problems.

    > Essentially "all" this would mean is that we take the existing headers,
    > remove everything which is inside #ifdef __KERNEL__ (and all of the
    > other kernel-specific non-abi headers that are included) and we are
    > done. The kernel header now holds only things that were inside the
    > #ifdef __KERNEL__ (or should have been), and #include <linux/abi/foo.h>.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:0.944 seconds]