SubjectRe: 2.4.19rc2aa1 VM too aggressive?
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 02:34:46PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 13:33, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> > some seldom swapout is ok, the strange thing are those small
> > swapins/swapouts. I also assume it's writing using write(2), not with
> > map_shared+msync.
>
> I am using ben's lahaise new AIO which effectively maps the pages in
> before the i/o. Using normal I/O I don't see swapping, the cached peaks
> at about .827028

sorry I thought you were using 2.4.19rc3aa1, -ac reintroduces a number
of vm bugs with the rmap vm that I fixed some age ago, plus it
underperformns in many areas, and about async-io I'm not shipping it.
You should report this to Alan and Ben. I'm interested only about
problems that can be reproduced with mainline and -aa, thanks.

> > can you try:
> >
> > echo 1000 >/proc/sys/vm/vm_mapped_ratio
>
> That file does not exist in 2.4.19rc3ac3

yes I misunderstood the kernel version.

> bash-2.05$ ls /proc/sys/vm
> bdflush max_map_count min-readahead page-cluster
> kswapd max-readahead overcommit_memory pagetable_cache
> >
> > I also wonder if you've quite some amount of mapped address space durign
> > the benchmark. In such case there's no trivial way around it, the vm
> > will constantly found tons of mapped address space, and it will trigger
> > some swapouts, however the swapins shouldn't happen so fast in such
> > case.
> The AIO will pin some space, but the upper bound should be
> NIO(16) * Record Size(64k) = 1 Meg
>

> > In any case the sysctl will allow you to tune for your workload.
> >
> > Andrea

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.099 / U:0.028 seconds]