SubjectRe: File Corruption in Kernel 2.4.18
Ville Herva wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:47:33AM +0200, you [Wilfried Weissmann] wrote:
>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>I repoduced the problem with wrchk utility I wrote
>>>(http://iki.fi/v/tmp/wrchk.c) but it seems you can do it with you directory
>>>tree copying.
>>
>>I got to check this out!
>

> I had the problem to appear almost certainly when doing wrchk to raw disks
> (you should be able to use large files just as well), two writes in parallel
> (eg. /dev/hde, /dev/hdg). Occasionally it took ~50GB of writing before it
> happened (multiple rounds), but it always did.

I did a simultaneous:
wrck /dev/hd[fh] 0 64 2
The two disks were connected to the HPT-370 controller and both were
configured as slave (the masters are configured into an ataraid-0 and
contain my root partition). The test disk were IBM DLTA 307030 (30GB)
with updated firmware. These disks are locked down to ata-44 by the
kernel and I only got a maximum I/O speed of 21.7 MB/s. During the read
phase one of the disks always slowed down, while the other disk
proceeded at normal speed. In the first run I got 7.2 MB/s and at the
second run the other disk slowed down to crawling 5.3 MB/s, but the test
was completed without any errors. *joy* However I am not that the test
did stress the chipset enough to trigger the error because of the
throughput is so low.
My mainboard is a abit kt7-raid (VIA KT133 chipset), BIOS version 3R.
Memory bus was reduced to 100 MHz (SDR). Linux kernel 2.4.18 tainted by
NVidia(TM). ;)
DivX 5.0 seems to be a good stability test for VIA chipset based
motherboards. It finds errors that not even memtest could detect.

greetings,
Wilfried

PS: I will do another run on my raid-0 root partition. The 2 disks that
are part of the raid run at ata-100 (Maxtor 40GB).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.065 / U:0.340 seconds]