SubjectRe: [2.6] Most likely to be merged by Halloween... THE LIST
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:46:43PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > > o Full compliance with IPv6 (Alexey Kuznetzov, Jun Murai, Yoshifuji Hideaki, USAGI team)
> > could ease in 2.6.x if not?
>
> Davem's call I guess. ISTR the USAGI work was a rather large patch which
> if in Davem's shoes, I'd be rather dubious about taking 'all-in-one'.

Before the freeze it should be fine, after all if working IDE is optional
in a development kernel IPV6 is certainly not a must-have (unless it
seriously break IPV4, obviously).

> > > o Add support for NFS v4 (NFS v4 team)
> > This really shouldn't wait for 2.8!
>
> Last I saw of this patch it was still against something like 2.4.1,
> so they have a lot of catch up to do. This fact asides, if it doesn't
> touch common code, there's no reason it can't go in post-feature freeze
> in the same way as a driver/additional fs. Depends how much it touches.
> That said, are there really that many NFSv4 hosts out there that make
> this a *must have* feature ? Are any other *nix vendors shipping NFSv4 yet?

Not that I have used, this was more of a preemptive effort to get it in
2.6 rather than 2.8, since most vendors will be shipping in less than a
year if you believe their unofficial comments. And if the benefits are
there it would be a good thing to have first, perhaps.

> > > o Overhaul PCMCIA support (David Woodhouse, David Hinds)
> > Sure would be nice if it worked on desktops as well as laptops
>
> "works for me". Admittedly I've not played with pcmcia much, but it
> seems at least if you choose the right hardware it works fine.

I haven't had it work since about 2.6 on a BP6 with an adaptor, but it did
work in 2.4.early. Of course it could be related to the new IDE stuff
making compact flash fail, but even building a uni kernel doesn't help. I
bought a cheap used laptop just to use as a card reader, but I'd rather
not stay that way ;-) Guess for now that's the "right hardware."

Thanks for all the additional feedback.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc