    SubjectRe: [2.6] Most likely to be merged by Halloween... THE LIST]
    On Jul 20, 2002  01:28 +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Is Halloween the deadline for submission of patches, or the deadline for
    > inclusion? If I send in reiser4 on Halloween day according to some
    > timezone;-), have I made the deadline for inclusion into 2.6 even if it
    > takes Linus a few months to reach my place in the queue of patches sent
    > to him on Halloween day?
    >
    > I understand that earlier is better, and I will send it earlier if I
    > can, but even if we do get the reiser4 core (that which does all that V3
    > does but faster and on top of a plugin infrastructure) done before
    > Halloween, we will inevitably add a few features and tweaks after doing
    > the core, and we will want to send those in at the last minute.

    Hans,
    my understanding is that core changes that aren't in by Halloween are
    not going to be accepted until 2.7. By pre-announcing the deadline,
    it is hoped that people will have lots of time to submit things that are
    ready for inclusion, as opposed to rushing to submit when the "freeze"
    is announced all of a sudden.

    If (as we all hope) the important features are added incrementally to
    the development kernel over the next few months, maybe all of the usage
    and testing that is going into the development kernel will not be
    totally lost when the entire kernel is morphed under a huge weight of
    patches.

    It may even mean that there will not be an extra year of features (and
    bugs) being added to the "frozen" kernel, and we will be able to start
    2.7 earlier.

    As always, I imagine that as long as you have any core changes in 2.5
    before the freeze, it will not be impossible to add self-contained
    things like filesystems and drivers after the freeze also.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger