SubjectRe: more thoughts on a new jail() system call
Date
>> sys_olduname) - P
>
> I'd argue that this should be restricted, on general
> principles. (General principle: A jailed process shouldn't
> be able to learn anything about the host it's running on.)

Learning this info is easy enough without a syscall.
You only cause trouble for legit usage.

>> sys_getcwd) C
>> sys_ustat) J - Do we want a jailed process getting this info?
>> sys_statfs) NOT SURE - should a jail process be able to get info on system?
>> sys_fstatfs) same as statfs
>> sys_sysfs) J - info on local system?
>
> It's probably not critical, but I'd argue that these should
> be denied, on general principles, unless there is some
> reason to think it will be very useful. getcwd() is probably
> the most critical to deny, as it can give away detailed
> information in some cases.
>
> (General principle: If you're in a jail, you shouldn't be
> able to learn any information about where that jail resides
> on the filesystem.)

No, sys_getcwd will return info based on your current root.
After chroot and all, your "/" is the top of your jail.

>> sys_setsid) NOT SURE - no clue what this really does
>
> I think it's probably ok, but I'm not 100% sure, either.

Yes it's OK. It's needed for job control.

>> sys_syslog) NOT SURE (probably jailed away)
>
> sys_syslog touches a global shared resource, hence
> should probably be denied to jailed processes.

It's got to be redirected.

>> sys_vhangup) NOT SURE - Should be fine, right?
>
> Seems ok to me.

Have fun with devpts.

>> sys_getsid) NOT SURE - whats it for?
>
> You shouldn't be able to call getsid() on some other
> process outside the jail. Also, calling getsid() on
> yourself might reveal information about your parent,
> like getppid() or getpgid() (minor).

Your parent ought to be 1.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.084 / U:2.472 seconds]