    SubjectRe: [RFC] new module format
    On Tuesday 16 July 2002 15:04, Roman Zippel wrote:
    > 1. Properly fixing module races: I'm playing with a init/start/stop/exit
    > model, this has the advantage that we can stop anyone from reusing a
    > module and we only have to wait for remaining users to go away until we
    > can safely unload the module.

    I'm satisfied that, for filesystems at least, all the module races can be
    solved without adding start/stop, and I will present code in due course.
    However, Rusty tells me there are harder cases than filesystems. At this
    point I'm waiting for a specific example.

    For filesystems, we rely on the filesystem code itself to know when all users
    have gone away. If somebody is still executing in a filesystem module after
    all umounts are done, it's a horrible nasty bug. We might still want to play
    games with checking execution addresses of processes to see if anybody is
    still in a module, but that would just be for debug; sys_delete_module can
    rely on the filesystem's opinion about whether a module is quiescent or not.

    Somebody please give me an example of why this same strategy will not
    work for all types of modular code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.022 / U:44.396 seconds]