    SubjectRe: close return value
    Date
    In article <20020716.172026.55847426.davem@redhat.com>,
    David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
    > From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    > Date: 17 Jul 2002 02:35:41 +0100
    >
    > Our NFS can return errors from close().
    >
    >Better tell Linus.

    Oh, Linus knows. In fact, Linus wrote some of the code in question.

    But the thing is, Linus doesn't want to have people have the same issues
    with local filesystems. I _know_ there are broken applications that do
    not test the error return from close(), and I think it is a politeness
    issue to return error codes that you can know about as soon as humanly
    possible.

    For NFS, you simply cannot do any reasonable performance without doing
    deferred error reporting. The same isn't true of other filesystems.
    Even in the presense of delayed block allocation, a local filesystem can
    _reserve_ the blocks early, and has no excuse for giving errors late
    (except, of course, for actual IO errors).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:2.957 / U:0.044 seconds]