    Subjectscsi detect and kgdb
    I have been writing a scsi module and as part of the module
    initialisation I would like to delay while waiting for a specific
    condition. I have tried to put the detect routine in a loop which
    spins on jiffies + a timeout and my hardware condition. I had all
    sorts of problems with this code and I found that module load
    locked up. I tried using barrier and schedule in this loop and found
    that schedule worked for me most of the time.

    I thought I would have a look at the code with kgdb. Firstly I noticed
    that schedule is not defined in the kgdb enabled kernel. Also even
    if I put this detect routine in a spin for a while my interrupts do not
    get serviced until after this spin and quite possibly not until the
    detect routine returns.

    I would like to know the correct way to facilitate a delay in a scsi
    module detect routine, while waiting for a hardware condition which
    gets satisfied by a number of interrupts. If this condition is not met
    in a timeout period the code also continue.

    I would also like to understand the kgdb kernel behaviour.

    I am running a 2.4.16 kernel.

    Cheers

    Simon.