SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

>From alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk Fri Jul 12 22:22:45 2002

>On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 21:08, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> There are enough other OS that use a common ATAPI/SCSI driver concept and
>> do not have the problems you vagely name but never really describe.

>There are lots that fudge around and pretend scsi is the block layer
>when it is not. That sort of misses the point and slows down high end
>raid cards.

It seems that you miss to understand the needed underlying driver structures.
SCSI is not a block layer, it is a generic transport.

>> I believe it's OK to drop support for 10 year old hardware in case this
>> is no important hardware that _really_ needs continued support (like
>> e.g. 9 track trapes).

>We support and people continue to use large amounts of ten year old
>hardware. Thats why children at quite a few schools have access to
>computing through things like LTSP. There are people actively
>maintaining much of this stuff too.

I never agued to completely drop support for them. You cannot do decent
DAE with pre-1998 CD-ROM drives, so why try to support DAE for old drives?
Just use them as read-only DA drives.

>Some things such as ide tapes which have needs rather different to scsi
>tape are still being made and released in newer and larger forms.

If you have a IDE tape that acts as tape, it most likely uses SCSI
tape commands. If it acts as a big floppy, it is not relevent in this
discussion.

>> ATA devices that are neither hard disks, nor do support ATAPI decently
>> are Y 1992 crap - so unless you like to have continued support for your
>> provate museum, what is the reason that you like to prevent a change
>> to a more usable driver interface?

>You still don't seem to understand the difference between a driver
>interface and a hardware layer.

Well, from previous discussions with you, you did proove that this is exactly
what _you_ don't understand.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.039 / U:0.288 seconds]