    SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

    >From Fri Jul 12 22:22:45 2002

    >On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 21:08, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >> There are enough other OS that use a common ATAPI/SCSI driver concept and
    >> do not have the problems you vagely name but never really describe.

    >There are lots that fudge around and pretend scsi is the block layer
    >when it is not. That sort of misses the point and slows down high end
    >raid cards.

    It seems that you miss to understand the needed underlying driver structures.
    SCSI is not a block layer, it is a generic transport.

    >> I believe it's OK to drop support for 10 year old hardware in case this
    >> is no important hardware that _really_ needs continued support (like
    >> e.g. 9 track trapes).

    >We support and people continue to use large amounts of ten year old
    >hardware. Thats why children at quite a few schools have access to
    >computing through things like LTSP. There are people actively
    >maintaining much of this stuff too.

    I never agued to completely drop support for them. You cannot do decent
    DAE with pre-1998 CD-ROM drives, so why try to support DAE for old drives?
    Just use them as read-only DA drives.

    >Some things such as ide tapes which have needs rather different to scsi
    >tape are still being made and released in newer and larger forms.

    If you have a IDE tape that acts as tape, it most likely uses SCSI
    tape commands. If it acts as a big floppy, it is not relevent in this

    >> ATA devices that are neither hard disks, nor do support ATAPI decently
    >> are Y 1992 crap - so unless you like to have continued support for your
    >> provate museum, what is the reason that you like to prevent a change
    >> to a more usable driver interface?

    >You still don't seem to understand the difference between a driver
    >interface and a hardware layer.

    Well, from previous discussions with you, you did proove that this is exactly
    what _you_ don't understand.

    Jörg (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1 (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:1.420 seconds]