    SubjectRe: kbd not functioning in 2.5.25-dj2
    On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 02:48:01PM -0700, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > I just gave this a try with 2.5.25-dj2, and I still don't have a
    > working keyboard. Mouse works fine; no response from the keyboard. revelant
    > parts of .config below:
    >
    > CONFIG_INPUT=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
    > CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m
    > # CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set
    > CONFIG_GAMEPORT=m
    > CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=m
    > CONFIG_GAMEPORT_FM801=m
    > CONFIG_SERIO=y
    > CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
    > CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
    > CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
    > CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
    > CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=m
    > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
    > CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
    > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

    The .config is OK.

    > /proc/interrupts shows:
    >
    > CPU0
    > 0: 108187 XT-PIC timer
    > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    > 4: 182 XT-PIC serial
    > 5: 1 XT-PIC parport0
    > 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
    > 10: 530 XT-PIC eth0
    > 12: 830 XT-PIC i8042
    > 14: 3754 XT-PIC ide0

    Unfortunately this doesn't list interrupts, which happened, but are no
    longer claimed by any driver - and the i8042 driver frees the interrupt
    when it detects no device.

    > From the above part of .config, IRQ1 should be set for the keyboard,
    > while IRQ 12 for the AUX port. 12 is set, 1 is not. dmesg shows:
    >
    > mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    > serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
    > input: ImPS/2 Microsoft IntelliMouse on isa0060/serio1
    > serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

    So it detected both the KBD and AUX ports properly, but for some reason
    it couldn't identify the attached keyboard.

    Can you #define ATKBD_DEBUG in drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c?
    Then you'll see what happened in' dmesg'.

    > So I don't really know what is causing my keyboard (PS/2) to not work
    > with the new API. I also don't know how others are getting it to work.. any
    > insight?

    Most likely you have a somewhat unusual keyboard - it may be responding
    too slow perhaps, so that the driver times out - or doesn't support some
    of the commands the driver expects to use.

    Or the mouse kills the keyboard. This also can happen - they share
    common resources. This would need more debugging then.

    So, what's the keyboard, what's the mouse, and what's the mainboard
    exactly?

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs