SubjectRe: bzip2 support against 2.4.18
On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 09:30:29AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Actually, what is the use of even including 'bz2' in the name? Nobody
> besides we geeks needs to know the thing is compressed with bzip2. It
> would be nice to see the word 'linux' in there. How about bzlinux?
> Just think of the hundreds of cases of carpal tunnel syndrome you'd
> prevent by eliminating the shifted character.

why not just call it 'linux'? file(1) exists for a reason, and the 'vm'
prefix is a bit redundant these days

also i've never really understood why the binary format of the kernel is
selected via make. why not just make it a regular kernel option with a
sane default? surely your average kernel compiling person picks
something that works (zImage? bzImage? Image?) and sticks to it...

j.

--
toyota power: http://indigoid.net/